Judgment Enforcement - Foreign and Domestic

Domestic judgments are California judgments against debtor(s) residing in our service area. It makes no difference where in California the judgment was entered. We can proceed immediately with all types of judgment enforcement which are provided for by law and which appear appropriate to the specific debtor's circumstances. If the debtor has assets, we will try to secure them.

Foreign judgments are judgments entered in any state other than California; they are referred to as "sister state judgments." They have to be registered in California through correct proceedings, and notice must be served on the judgment debtor. Thirty days after service is complete, we can apply for writs of execution and other enforcement documents from the court. In these cases, it is possible for the judgment debtor to contest the entry of judgement in California, although such contests are uncommon. Nevertheless, one should be aware of the possibility of litigation.